The Data Science program is designed to provide practical literacy of the computational, statistical, and empirical methods and tools used by data scientists at all levels. The program addresses key areas of knowledge in data science, including data development and management; machine learning and natural language processing; statistical analysis and data visualization. Students will utilize computing technologies for big data applications.
This program is intended for both students and working adults who want to learn more about data science. Students who complete the data science program will be ready to model, synthesize, and apply computational and statistical techniques to interpret a variety of datasets. The emphasis of the courses will be on writing code, using libraries, and scripts and analytical methods and applying the knowledge and skills to create workflows that facilitate the process of data collection, transformation, analysis, visualization, and interpretation.
The Data Science program will be useful for a range of professionals in many fields, including computer and information technology, business management, financial operations, law, architecture and construction, engineering, health and medicine, and the environmental, life, physical, and social sciences.
A Certificate of Achievement will be awarded upon successful completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Analyze, extract, clean and maintain data in databases.
- Interpret and evaluate data trends, qualitative research, or patterns in complex data sets using statistical techniques, analytic methods, and tools.
- Create and monitor reports to preserve data quality, identify critical issues, ethical issues , trends in diversity and social justice, and potential solutions.
- Acquire knowledge of how to apply Python and Java, dashboards, and other tools to data science in the areas of analysis and communicating data representation.
- Obtain huge data sets, process them, and analyze them utilizing techniques for data exploration, pattern identification, forecasting, and addressing business issues.
- Build teamwork and leadership through collaboration in projects such as research for data, creating visualization, and machine learning.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
|INTRODUCTION TO DATA SCIENCE
|INTRODUCTION TO DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
|STATISTICS FOR BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
|or STAT 018
|STATISTICS FOR BEHAVIORAL AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
|or STAT 050
|or STAT 050H
|HONORS ELEMENTARY STATISTICS
|FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTER SCIENCE II (JAVA)
|or CS 003C
|FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTER SCIENCE II (PYTHON)
|or CS 002
|FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTER SCIENCE I
|ADVANCED JAVA PROGRAMMING AND ALGORITHM WITH DATA STRUCTURES
|or CS 034
|ADVANCED PYTHON PROGRAMMING AND BASIC DATA STRUCTURES
|R PROGRAMMING FOR DATA SCIENCE