Top Code: 1004.00
A degree in the Music major from Pasadena City College enables students to develop musical proficiency in Music Theory, Musicianship, Keyboard Harmony and Performance in preparation for transfer to Bachelor of Music degree programs at the university level or for their career goals in the field of music.
Music majors are expected to declare a primary performance area (instrument or voice), undertake applied lessons on their instrument, and perform in a large ensemble.
Please Note: The courses that universities and colleges require for transfer vary. When selecting courses for transfer purposes, students should consult with Counseling Services to determine the particular transfer requirements of specific transfer institutions.
- Utilize theoretical principles in the analysis and composition of the music of the common-practice period.
- Hear, internally, the melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic elements of the common-practice period. Display the musicianship skills necessary to participate successfully in various musical endeavors, including performance and composition.
- Present successful solo performances using appropriate repertoire for their chosen instrument/voice with technical proficiency, musicality and stylistic awareness.
- Perform and/or participate successfully in small and large ensembles, using time management and interpersonal skills to assist in the production of a collaborative musical work.
- Using standard music references and resources (reference works, periodicals, software, etc.), write analytical, historical, critical, biographical, and research oriented projects on topics in music.
Requirements for the major
Courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. All courses must be numbered 001–099. Students must complete all of the following courses:
|MUSC 001A||MUSIC THEORY I||3|
|MUSC 001B||MUSIC THEORY II||3|
|MUSC 001C||MUSIC THEORY III||3|
|MUSC 001D||MUSIC THEORY IV||3|
|MUSC 002A||MUSICIANSHIP I||1|
|MUSC 002B||MUSICIANSHIP II||1|
|MUSC 002C||MUSICIANSHIP III||1|
|MUSC 002D||MUSICIANSHIP IV||1|
|MUSC 004A||KEYBOARD SKILLS I||1|
|MUSC 004B||KEYBOARD SKILLS II||1|
|MUSC 004C||KEYBOARD SKILLS III||1|
|MUSC 004D||KEYBOARD SKILLS IV||1|
|MUSC 007A||MUSIC HISTORY AND LITERATURE: ANTIQUITY TO 1750||3|
|MUSC 007B||MUSIC HISTORY AND LITERATURE: 1750 TO THE PRESENT||3|
|MUSC 010||CONCERT MUSIC (must be completed 4 times)||2|
|Select two units from the following options:||4|
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION I|
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION II (CLASSICAL)|
or MUSC 009D
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION II (JAZZ/COMMERCIAL)|
|Select two units from the following options:||2|
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION III (CLASSICAL)|
or MUSC 009E
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION III (JAZZ/COMMERCIAL)|
|Select four additional units from the following courses:||4|
|VOCAL JAZZ ENSEMBLE|
|LANCER JAZZ BIG BAND|
|STUDIO JAZZ ENSEMBLE|
|JAZZ GUITAR ENSEMBLE|
|LATIN JAZZ ENSEMBLE|
|LANCER MARCHING BAND|
|LANCER CONCERT BAND|
|MUSICAL THEATER WORKSHOP|
Visit the Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.