The Building Construction Inspection program is designed to equip and prepare those enrolled to apply for the position of a building inspector. Candidates will gain vast knowledge of the responsibilities and duties one must perform as a building inspector or code enforcement officer, from effective communication skills, awareness of workplace safety requirements, to a deep comprehension of the intent of the building code and how it applies to both residential and commercial structures.
Upon successful completion of the Building Construction Inspection Certificate of Achievement, completers will be better prepared to take the International Code Council’s (ICC) Residential Building Inspector B1 examination, a national certification that is recognized in all U.S. jurisdictions. This is considered a Career and Technical Education (CTE) program which provides students with the skills required to safely and effectively be employed as a building inspector or code enforcement officer for Los Angeles Building and Safety (LADBS), Los Angeles County, or in other public and private settings.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Identify the training/educational requirements and describe the role of the construction inspector.
- Describe and explain residential print reading and interpret the use of related local, state and international building codes used for construction.
- Explain the purpose and intent of the building, grading, mechanical, HVAC, plumbing, zoning, electrical, legal requirements and the code enforcement process.
- Demonstrate the methods, materials and the process of construction inspections from site preparation to the final building inspection.
- Better prepared to take the International Code Council’s (ICC) Residential Inspection certification exam and will be primed for employment as a trained building inspector or code enforcement officer.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
|PRINT READING FOR CONSTRUCTION
|BUILDING CONSTRUCTION CODES AND STANDARDS
|MATERIALS & PROCESSES OF CONSTRUCTION: SUB GRADE TO ROOF FRAMING
|PRINCIPLES OF PLUMBING INSPECTION
|PRINCIPLES OF HEATING AND REFRIGERATION INSPECTIONS
|ELECTRICAL INSPECTION AND CODES
This Certificate of Achievement is not eligible as a major for an Associate Degree.