Top Code: 0614.30
This curriculum prepares students for entry-level positions in web design and development, creative coding, front-end web and mobile application design, interaction design or UX (User Experience) design. The program stresses the design thinking process as well as the professional and production methods used currently in industry. Projects will encompass content management, user interface, interactive behaviors, information design, web and mobile application tools, programming, and selection of appropriate form factors for user experiences in the Internet. Students will develop a portfolio and participate in a shared incubator course with all Design/Media Arts students.
All courses in this certificate require literacy and proficiency in writing and math. Projects require written, oral, and visual presentations as well as the application of basic math principles and skills.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Design implement, publish, and maintain websites, using authoring or scripting languages, content creation tools, management tools and a variety of digital media assets.
- Research, problem-solve, and organize a consistent and functional website, mobile application, or user experience for a targeted user group or persona using agile and iterative methodologies.
- Evaluate and create code that is valid, properly structured, meets industry standards, and is accessible and compatible with browsers, mobile devices and/or operating systems.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in teams effectively.
- Demonstrate project management skills and practices that emphasize content development in all aspects of web design, user interface, interaction design, information design, database design, and front end development.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
|DMA 010||DIGITAL ART: DESIGN FOUNDATION||3|
|DMA 012||DIGITAL ART: PAINTING & DRAWING||3|
|DMA 050||WEB DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT||3|
|DMA 032||INTERACTION DESIGN||3|
|DMA 034||USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN (UX)||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|CREATIVE CODING FOR THE INTERNET|
|CREATIVE CODING FOR MOBILE DEVICES|
|DMA 098||DESIGN/MEDIA ARTS INCUBATOR||3|
|ART 011A||FOUNDATION DRAWING||3|
|ART 015||SKETCHING FOR DESIGN||3|
|ART 031A||COLOR AND COMPOSITION-TWO DIMENSIONAL DESIGN||3|
|CINE 026A||BEGINNING ELECTRONIC FILMMAKING||3|
|COLL 001||FIRST YEAR SEMINAR||3|
|DMA 002||HISTORY OF DESIGN AND MEDIA ARTS||3|
|DMA 004||HISTORY OF DIGITAL GAMES||3|
|DMA 020A||GRAPHIC DESIGN I||3|
|DMA 020B||GRAPHIC DESIGN II||3|
|DMA 022A||TYPOGRAPHY I||3|
|DMA 022B||TYPOGRAPHY II||3|
|SPCH 001||FUNDAMENTALS OF SPEECH||3|
|or SPCH 001H||HONORS FUNDAMENTALS OF SPEECH|
|SPCH 010||INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION||3|
Visit Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.