Top Code: 0956.500956.5
Los Angeles City Structural Welding License program is designed to take a welding trainee through the process of getting the requisite practicals for the City of Los Angeles’ AWS D 1.1 Structural Welding License and preparation for the Los Angeles City proctored respective written test. Both the practicals and the written test have to be completed and logged with the City of Los Angeles before a D 1.1 Welding License is issued. Upon successful completion of the Los Angeles City Structural Welding License program, completers will be fully prepared for the recognized professional certification – LAC D 1.1 Welding License – as the industry does not recognize welding certificates of achievement. This is considered a Career and Technical Education (CTE) program which provides students with the skills required to safely and effectively be employed as a Los Angeles City Structural Welder in public and private settings.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Explain welding theory and mechanics by using industry nomenclature, currents, polarity, joint design, discontinuities, troubleshooting and welding symbols.
- Fabricate an AWS D 1.1 unlimited thickness test coupon in accordance with AWS D 1.1 Structural Steel Code, Fig. 4.21 utilizing the required prequalified A36, with Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), and Flux Cored Arc Welding.
- Evaluate a completed test coupon in the vertical and overhead positions, using the D1.1 code to determine the status of the weld.
- Utilize welding, cutting, prepping and repairing equipment safely while wearing the required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to the OSHA standard.
- Negotiate the AWS D 1.1 Structural Steel code book, including general requirements, design of welded connections, qualified, prequalified, fabrication, inspection, stud welding and repair of existing structures to the satisfaction of the City of Los Angeles Department of Building Safety, written exam.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
|WELD 200A||INTRODUCTION TO STRUCTURAL WELDING||6|
|WELD 200B||CONSTRUCTION TRADE WELDING||6|
|WELD 303||LAC WELDING LICENSE WRITTEN EXAM PREP||3|
|WELD 044B||INTRODUCTION TO ELECTRIC ARC WELDING||1|
|or WELD 044C||ADVANCED ARC WELDING, FCAW & SMAW|