The curriculum prepares students to seek employment in the welding/metal working trades as welders, welder’s helpers, cutting torch operators, or apprentice fitters. The focus of instruction and practical welding experience is on the Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), semi-automatic Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) and oxy-acetylene welding, brazing and cutting processes. These processes are used in the aero-space and manufacturing industries. Welding practice prepares the student for the Structural Steel Groove and Light Gauge Structural Certification. Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) will include the welding of steel, aluminum and stainless steel as used in the aero-space industry.
Metal fabrication skills including blueprint reading, shop math, metal fit-up and production welding techniques. Instruction includes structural steel welding codes and welding theory. Students are required to purchase welding materials and protective clothing.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Perform shielded metal arc (SMAW), gas metal arc, gas tungsten arc welding and oxy-acetylene welding and cutting.
- Select appropriate equipment and processes for metal/welding operations and demonstrate safe set-up and operations of welding equipment.
- Evaluate welds to industry standards and prepare inspections reports including welding defects and solutions.
- Fabricate a part from a blueprint including the layout, assembly, cutting of material guided by welding symbols.
- Develop Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) sheet.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
|TECH 107A||TECHNICAL CALCULATIONS||3|
|WELD 200A||INTRODUCTION TO STRUCTURAL WELDING||6|
|DT 008A||INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL DESIGN AND FABRICATION||3|
|WELD 200C||INTRODUCTION TO FABRICATION GMAW & GTAW||6|
|BIT 010||BASIC COMPUTER KEYBOARDING||1|
|DT 017||BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION TECHNICAL GRAPHICS||3|
|DT 118||3-DIMENSIONAL BUILDING DESIGN & REPRESENTATION||3|
|KINA 032A||BEGINNING FITNESS ACTIVITIES||1|
|WELD 044A||INTRODUCTION TO GAS WELDING||1|
|WELD 044B||INTRODUCTION TO ELECTRIC ARC WELDING||1|
|WELD 044C||ADVANCED ARC WELDING, FCAW & SMAW||1|
|WELD 145||INTRODUCTION TO TIG WELDING||1|
|WELD 150D||TUNGSTEN INERT GAS (TIG) WELDING||5|
Visit the Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.