The Associate in Arts for Transfer in Music (AA-T in Music degree) prepares students to transfer to a Bachelor of Arts degree program, a capstone or terminal liberal arts degree with an emphasis on music. Students develop musical proficiency in theory, musicianship and performance on their primary instrument or voice.
Students who plan to pursue a professional career in music (in performance, composition, jazz, music technology, education or graduate study) should pursue the Associate of Arts in Music (AA in Music degree) which prepares students to transfer to a Bachelor of Music degree program. Students develop musical proficiency in theory, musicianship, keyboard harmony and music history while preparing to successfully audition on their primary instrument or voice for acceptance into a university music department.
Requirements for the Major
The Associate in Arts in Music for Transfer Degree Requirements:
- 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- the California State University-General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE-Breadth); or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
- a minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major or area of emphasis as determined by the community college district.
- obtainment of a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- earn a grade of C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis, or P if the course is graded on a P/NP basis.
- Utilize theoretical principles in the analysis and composition of the music of the common-practice period.
- Hear, internally, the melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic elements of the common-practice period. Display the musicianship skills necessary to participate successfully in various musical endeavors, including performance and composition.
- Present successful solo performances using appropriate repertoire for their chosen instrument/voice with technical proficiency, musicality and stylistic awareness.
- Perform and/or participate successfully in small and large ensembles, using time management and interpersonal skills to assist in the production of a collaborative musical work.
Associate in Arts Degree in Music for Transfer
|MUSC 001A||MUSIC THEORY I||3|
|MUSC 001B||MUSIC THEORY II||3|
|MUSC 001C||MUSIC THEORY III||3|
|MUSC 001D||MUSIC THEORY IV||3|
|MUSC 002A||MUSICIANSHIP I||1|
|MUSC 002B||MUSICIANSHIP II||1|
|MUSC 002C||MUSICIANSHIP III||1|
|MUSC 002D||MUSICIANSHIP IV||1|
|Select two units of the following:||2|
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION I|
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION II (CLASSICAL)|
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION III (CLASSICAL)|
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION II (JAZZ/COMMERCIAL)|
|INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION III (JAZZ/COMMERCIAL)|
|Large Ensemble (4 semesters)|
|Select four units of the following:||4|
|VOCAL JAZZ ENSEMBLE|
|LANCER JAZZ BIG BAND|
|STUDIO JAZZ ENSEMBLE|
|JAZZ GUITAR ENSEMBLE|
|LATIN JAZZ ENSEMBLE|
|LANCER MARCHING BAND|
|LANCER CONCERT BAND|
|MUSICAL THEATER WORKSHOP|
|CSU General Education or IGETC CSU Pattern||37-39|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)|
Visit the Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.