Top Code: 1208.00
The program prepares students to seek employment in medical offices or clinics performing administrative and clinical duties including records management, financial systems, laboratory procedures and medical transcription. Students must provide their own transportation to off-campus clinical sites.
The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in coordination with the American Association of Medical Assistants. Upon successful completion of the curriculum, a student is eligible to take the certification examination to become a Certified Medical Assistant offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants (convicted felons may not be eligible).
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
Requirements for admission into the Medical Assisting Program
- Completed application for admission to the program.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent with a 2.0 grade point average as well as in all college work.
- Keyboarding speed of 30–35 wpm.
- Eligibility for ENGL 001A READING AND COMPOSITION.
- After acceptance into the program, submit a completed health form evidencing physical and emotional health including required immunizations/chest x-ray or Mantoux test.
- Current CPR/BLS (Basic Life Support) card, which must be maintained while in the program.
High school courses in human physiology, algebra, bookkeeping and typing.
- Demonstrate and perform technical skills related to administrative and clinical duties utilizing current technology and OSHA/CLIA standards required in the medical ambulatory settings.
- Exhibit professionalism, skills required for employment and interpersonal skills in a culturally diverse community.
- Apply cognitive skills to analyze, synthesize and evaluate ideas and information in a medical ambulatory setting.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
|MA 109||HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY||1|
|MA 110||MEDICAL OFFICE MICROCOMPUTER MANAGEMENT APPLICATIONS||1|
|MA 111A||ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICAL OFFICE PROCEDURES I||4|
|HLSC 115||MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY||3|
|MA 122A||CLINICAL MEDICAL OFFICE PROCEDURES I||2|
|MA 122B||CLINICAL MEDICAL OFFICE PROCEDURES II||2|
|PYSO 100||BASIC PHYSIOLOGY AND ANATOMY||3|
|MA 126||PHARMACOLOGY FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANTS||2|
|MA 111B||ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICAL OFFICE PROCEDURES II||4|
|HLSC 113||HUMAN DISEASE||3|
|MA 122C||CLINICAL ASSISTING TECHNIQUES III||4|
|MA 124||PHLEBOTOMY & LABORATORY PROCEDURES FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANTS||3|
|MA 127||MEDICAL INSURANCE||3|
|MA 128||PRACTICUM EXPERIENCE IN THE MEDICAL OFFICE||4|
Visit the Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.