Top Code: 2210.20
The Associate in Arts in Global Studies for Transfer degree is an interdisciplinary program designed to provide students with a foundation in and understanding of globalization and contemporary global issues. The program is intended to prepare students to transfer into upper division degree programs in Global Studies, Global Politics, International Development Studies, International Relations, International Studies, and Comparative Government. It also provides students a basis for other majors in anthropology, economics, geography, history, humanities, and political science. Earning a degree in Global Studies is a starting point for careers in international business, international development, academics, immigration advocacy, non-profits, international politics, public policy, government, research, and the law. The skillsets that students develop are universally beneficial for virtually any major and career.
The Associate in Arts in Global Studies for Transfer degree requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- In written or oral work, analyze the impact of race/ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and economic inequality in historical periods.
- Critique varied theoretical frameworks in debates on race/ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and economic inequality.
- Assess the importance of major eras, political figures, legislative acts, social trends, and economic policy on racial/ethnic, gender, economic, and other minority groups.
- Compare and contrast the experiences of marginalized groups with that of dominant groups, including concerns of race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and gender identity.
- Critique ongoing social debates on race relations, gender relations, and the like.
Associate in Arts in Global Studies for Transfer Degree
|GLBL 001||INTRODUCTION TO GLOBAL STUDIES||3|
|GLBL 002||ISSUES IN GLOBAL STUDIES||3|
|Select five courses from at least four of the following area:||15-19|
|Area 1: Culture and Society|
or ANTH 002H
|HONORS CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY|
|HISTORY OF WORLD CIVILIZATIONS TO 1500|
|HISTORY OF WORLD CIVILIZATIONS FROM 1500|
|Area 2: Geography|
|WORLD REGIONAL GEOGRAPHY|
|Area 3: Economics|
|PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS|
or ECON 001BH
|HONORS PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS|
|PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS|
or ECON 001AH
|HONORS PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS|
|Area 4: Politics|
|COMPARATIVE GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS|
|THE U.S. AND WORLD POLITICS|
|Area 5: Humanities|
|WORLD LITERATURE: ANTIQUITY TO 1500|
|WORLD LITERATURE: 1500 -- 1800 A.D.|
|INTERMEDIATE CHINESE (MANDARIN) - LEVEL 1|
|INTERMEDIATE CHINESE (MANDARIN)|
|CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern||37-39|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)|
Visit the Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.