The Associate in Arts in Global Studies for Transfer degree is an interdisciplinary program designed to provide students with a foundation in and understanding of globalization and contemporary global issues. The program is intended to prepare students to transfer into upper division degree programs in Global Studies, Global Politics, International Development Studies, International Relations, International Studies, and Comparative Government. It also provides students a basis for other majors in anthropology, economics, geography, history, humanities, and political science. Earning a degree in Global Studies is a starting point for careers in international business, international development, academics, immigration advocacy, non-profits, international politics, public policy, government, research, and the law. The skillsets that students develop are universally beneficial for virtually any major and career.
The Associate in Arts in Global Studies for Transfer degree requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better, or P if the course is graded on a P/NP basis. (Students completing this degree are not required to fulfill additional local graduation requirements.)
- Develop the ability to identify, analyze and communicate possible solutions to global challenges with cultural sensitivity by drawing upon insights from multiple scholarly perspectives.
- Identify and examine the interconnectedness of global issues (i.e., patterns of migration, climate change, expanding markets etc.) from economic, political, geographical, and sociocultural lenses.
- Recognize and connect topics of globalization by analyzing contemporary news through an interdisciplinary approach to studying the global spread of ideas and institutions (i.e., the International Monetary Fund, the United Nations, the International Criminal Court etc.).
Associate in Arts in Global Studies for Transfer Degree
|GLBL 001||INTRODUCTION TO GLOBAL STUDIES||3|
|GLBL 002||ISSUES IN GLOBAL STUDIES||3|
|Select five courses from at least four of the following area:||15-19|
|Area 1: Culture and Society|
or ANTH 002H
|HONORS CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY|
|HISTORY OF WORLD CIVILIZATIONS TO 1500|
|HISTORY OF WORLD CIVILIZATIONS FROM 1500|
|Area 2: Geography|
|WORLD REGIONAL GEOGRAPHY|
|Area 3: Economics|
|PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS|
or ECON 001BH
|HONORS PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS|
|PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS|
or ECON 001AH
|HONORS PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS|
|Area 4: Politics|
|COMPARATIVE GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS|
|THE U.S. AND WORLD POLITICS|
|Area 5: Humanities|
|WORLD LITERATURE: ANTIQUITY TO LATE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY|
|WORLD LITERATURE: LATE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY TO THE PRESENT|
|INTERMEDIATE SPANISH - LEVEL 1|
|INTERMEDIATE SPANISH - LEVEL 2|
|INTERMEDIATE CHINESE (MANDARIN) - LEVEL 1|
|INTERMEDIATE CHINESE (MANDARIN)|
|INTERMEDIATE GERMAN - LEVEL 1|
|INTERMEDIATE GERMAN - LEVEL 2|
|INTERMEDIATE ITALIAN - LEVEL 1|
|INTERMEDIATE ITALIAN - LEVEL 2|
|INTERMEDIATE JAPANESE - LEVEL 1|
|INTERMEDIATE JAPANESE - LEVEL 2|
|INTERMEDIATE RUSSIAN - LEVEL 1|
|INTERMEDIATE RUSSIAN - LEVEL 2|
|CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern||37-39|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)|
General Education Requirements for the Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Visit the Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.