TOP Code: 1509.00
Philosophy includes the study of ethics, political theory, logical argumentation, theories of knowledge and belief formation, metaphysics, aesthetics, and individual and social values. The Philosophy Program at Pasadena City College enables successful students to develop logical thinking skills, interpret complex texts, and understand and apply philosophical content, theories, and methodology to real-world scenarios. The Associate of Arts in Philosophy for Transfer degree is designed to assist students in transferring to a CSU major in Philosophy.
The Associate of Arts in Philosophy for Transfer degree requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better, or P if the course is graded on a P/NP basis.
- Critically engage and thoughtfully respond to historical and contemporary arguments, ideas, and theories common in the field of philosophy.
- Apply major philosophical concepts (from ethics, logic, epistemology, and philosophy of mind) to complex issues of the 21st century.
- Demonstrate original analytical and critical writing relevant to philosophical discourse.
Associate in Arts in Philosophy for Transfer Degree
|Select two of the following:||6|
or PHIL 033
|INTRODUCTION TO SYMBOLIC LOGIC|
|INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHY|
or PHIL 001H
|HONORS INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHY|
or PHIL 003
|Select one course or any required course not already used:||3|
|HISTORY OF ANCIENT PHILOSOPHY|
|HISTORY OF MODERN PHILOSOPHY|
|Select 2 courses or any List A course not already used:||6|
|HISTORY OF EUROPEAN CIVILIZATION TO 1715|
|HISTORY OF EUROPEAN CIVILIZATION FROM 1715|
|PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION|
|Select and List A or List B course not already used||3|
|CSU General Education or IGETC CSU Pattern||37-39|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)|
Visit the Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.