Gerontology is concerned with the study and application of knowledge about the physical, social, and economic conditions of older people. Aging affects all aspects of human activity, thus gerontology is multidisciplinary in nature. The program prepares students for careers in the field of aging. Graduates from this program can expect to find career placements in county councils on aging, area agencies on aging, social services agencies, housing authorities, long-term care, recreation facilities, and many other public and private agencies. Job titles in the field include:
With Completion of an Associate Degree:
- Home Care Companion
- Activity Director
- Adult Educator
- Transportation Coordinator
- Meal Coordinator
- Admission Coordinator
- Marketing Coordinator
- Travel/Tour Specialist
- Home Safety/Home Organization Specialist
With Completion of a B.A. or M.A.:
- Department of Human Services Worker
- Senior Center Director
- Administrator for assisted living
- Administrator for independent living
- Marketing Director
- Care Manager
- Geriatric Social Worker
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate knowledge of relationships among older adults, their families, and society.
- Apply current theory and research in the interdisciplinary field of gerontology and its role in society to assess biological, social, and psychological issues that impact older adults and those who work with and care for them.
- Analyze aspects of ageism in American society and socially conscious behavior regarding the older population.
- Apply acquired interdisciplinary knowledge of older adults in varied career applications, such as design of services for older adults, patient care, and engineering and technology for independent living.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
|GERO 001||INTRODUCTION TO GERONTOLOGY||3|
|GERO 022||DIRECTED STUDIES IN GERONTOLOGY||3|
|GERO 140||APPLIED HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT IN GERONTOLOGY||3|
|HUM 002||HUMANITIES, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY||3|
|PSYC 022||DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY: THE ADULT||3|
|SOC 022||SOCIOLOGY OF AGING||3|