Game Design and Development is a field that combines interactive, visual storytelling with complex game mechanics. Certificate recipients will learn entry-level skills in ideation, storyboarding, game design, playtesting, and computer programming with industry-standard game engines. Students will learn project management and collaboration skills. Students will develop a portfolio and participate in a shared incubator course with all Design/Media Arts students.
All courses in this certificate require literacy and proficiency in writing and math. Projects require written, oral, and visual presentations as well as the application of basic math principles and skills.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Develop original game designs using foundational creative processes, principles of game design and game development technologies.
- Identify essential industry competencies and explore applications and learning resources to identify practical approaches to problem-solving.
- Strategize and manage efficient design and production workflows.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in teams effectively.
- Communicate game designs effectively through appropriate verbal, written and visual techniques.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
|DMA 004||HISTORY OF DIGITAL GAMES||3|
|DMA 012||DIGITAL ART: PAINTING & DRAWING||3|
|DMA 090||GAME DESIGN I||3|
|DMA 070||MOTION GRAPHICS||3|
|or DMA 072||2D ANIMATION|
|DMA 080A||3D MODELING & SCULPTING||3|
|or DMA 080B||3D ANIMATION & SIMULATIONS|
|DMA 092||GAME DESIGN II: GAME ENGINES||3|
|DMA 032||INTERACTION DESIGN||3|
|or DMA 034||USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN (UX)|
|DMA 098||DESIGN/MEDIA ARTS INCUBATOR||3|
|ANTH 002||CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY||3|
|or ANTH 002H||HONORS CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY|
|COLL 001||FIRST YEAR SEMINAR||3|
|DMA 002||HISTORY OF DESIGN AND MEDIA ARTS||3|
|DMA 050||WEB DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT||3|
|DMA 060||CREATIVE CODING||3|
|DMA 062||CREATIVE CODING FOR THE INTERNET||3|
|DMA 064||CREATIVE CODING FOR MOBILE DEVICES||3|
|PSYC 001||INTRODUCTORY PSYCHOLOGY||3|
|or PSYC 001H||HONORS INTRODUCTORY PSYCHOLOGY|
|SPCH 001||FUNDAMENTALS OF SPEECH||3|
|or SPCH 001H||HONORS FUNDAMENTALS OF SPEECH|
|SPCH 010||INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION||3|
Visit Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.