Top Code: 1201.00
The Associate in Science in Public Health Science for Transfer focuses on disease and injury prevention strategies for community and individual wellness. The Associate in Science in Public Health Science for Transfer is designed to provide students a clear transfer pathway to the CSU within the health science field major and the completion of baccalaureate degree, with guaranteed admission to a CSU to a similar major with junior standing, and the ability to complete their remaining requirements within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.
Additionally, the Associate in Science in Public Health Science for Transfer focuses on providing job related and introduction to the various career pathways within this field. The public health field includes disciplines such as patient health navigator, health education outreach, epidemiology, biostatistics, health services, environmental health, behavioral health, and occupational health. Skill competencies include knowledge of public health models, health risk assessments, health screenings, health promotion programming, and surveillance of disease outbreaks in a community.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU-transferable units.
- the California State University-General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE-Breadth); OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
- a minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major or area of emphasis as determined by the community college district.
- obtainment of a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- earn a grade of C or better, or P if the course is graded on a P/NP basis in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, apply the multi-dimensional approach of public health sciences.
- Identify proactive factors for disease prevention and risk factors for disease and disability.
- Demonstrate and apply behavior-changing techniques to maximize health and wellness.
- Demonstrate the concepts of research, program planning and evaluation strategies.
Associate in Science Degree in Public Health Science for Transfer
|Required Core Courses|
|HED 044||HEALTH EDUCATION||3|
|HED 050||INTRODUCTION TO PUBLIC HEALTH||3|
|STAT 050||ELEMENTARY STATISTICS||4|
|BIOL 011||GENERAL BIOLOGY||4|
|or BIOL 011H||HONORS GENERAL BIOLOGY|
|CHEM 002A||CHEMISTRY - GENERAL, ORGANIC AND BIOCHEMISTRY I||4-5|
|or CHEM 001A||GENERAL CHEMISTRY AND CHEMICAL ANALYSIS I|
|PSYC 001||INTRODUCTORY PSYCHOLOGY||3|
|ANAT 025||HUMAN ANATOMY||4|
|PYSO 001||HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY||4|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS|
|PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS|
|HEALTH AND SOCIAL JUSTICE|
|DRUGS, HEALTH, AND SOCIETY|
|CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern||37-39|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units)|
Visit the Program Mapper for a suggested sequence of courses.